woensdag 25 juni 2014

Odds and Ends

Saturday I was standing in the market in my own village with a stall filled with many lovely bits and bobs from the store of my aunts and mothers. I was standing there together with my mother and because it was in our own village where my volunteer work is placed I was recognized by many children very enthusiastic.

Of course we had picked a very cold day to stand there and sell and even though I wore the warmest clothes I could find a was still very chilly. Feeling so cold that I couldn’t get warm anymore, not even when I was back home again, in front of the TV, under a blanket with a hot cup of tea in my hands.

But even though it was cold, I thought is was a perfect time to test me and my anxiety out and if my therapy has worked, because before I started therapy I used to help on markets as well. But back then I would constantly feel panicky the whole entire time and that would only increase when a customer came. I wasn’t capable to say more that yes and no, nothing else would get over my lips. I always wished for it to be over and for the costumers to leave, not really great if you want to sell. But this time I stayed calm, I would help customers if they needed help, chatted, spoke in full sentences and even enjoyed myself while I was there. So I think I can safely say there’s some difference and that therapy has worked.

A little about the store of my Aunts and mom. It’s a small store in the shopping center in Emmen (or a little outside, on the edge of the indoor center). They sell all sorts of bits and bobs that makes you wish you had more money to spend (even I do). Things store bought, but also things that are home made by themselves (like the pillows, blankets blackboards shaped like Amsterdam canal houses) and others like the jewellery, art and other things made by local artists. Things to decorate your home with and things you just want. And I’m not just saying this because I’m their daughter or niece, I do own a few things from there. It’s a unique place with unique things and their assortment is always changing.

So if you ever find yourself nearby Emmen in the Netherlands and fancy to come to a store called Odds and Ends, we would love to have you over. The address is:


Odds and Ends
Baander 28






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten