maandag 7 december 2015

I made a coat, 17 days until Christmas


A while back, I believe in September, I wrote to you that I wanted to start sewing. Well, I finally started. The first project I took on was sewing a coat. And guess what it is not falling apart. Although I do have to admit there was a lot of help from my mom, but I am just a beginner.

Before you can actually start sewing you will need a couple of things a sewing pattern, to help you with what to do, fabric,
needle and thread, sewing machine, in this case buttons. Although this may seem logical and not that hard, but I didn’t expect there would be so many decision-making. Making decisions is not really a talent of mine.
First step, the sewing pattern, a step where you need to choose from hundreds perhaps even thousands of patterns. Trying to find the one closest to what you have in mind. After you find one you can on to the next step, because now you know how much you need.
Step two, on the hunt for  fabric. The fabric, not that hard I though, I already had in mind what I wanted exactly. And finding that kind of fabric I was looking for was easy, this happened rather quickly. But unfortunately if you want a coat that is actually kind of warm you will need lining, and this fabric comes in many different shapes and different colours. And even though this is coming from the inside of the coat it will show through every now and then to see. So it is important that it go’s well with the fabric you have chosen, but as well you have to have in mind what look you’re going for. Bright green could be fun, but if you want your coat to go on for a while and would like to change up the look now and then by scarf, you might be better off with a more natural colour.
Step 3: Do you want shoulder patting. Apparently with the coat I wanted it is custom to have that. But I’m not really liking the look of broad shoulders. I did get them, but have now a much thinner and less obviously patting in there, that might or might not stay in (depending on whether I like the look or not).
Step 4: Buttons (if you need them). This might seem as a miner decision, but when the details are not right, it is going to look cheap. And there are many buttons to choose from, some may look like each other, but because of a small detail in them they can change the look of the coat.
Of course you need a couple more things, but they aren’t much of a decision. They are needed and you go with what the saleslady says are the best.


Where the first problem presented itself. I was in the store already made all the decisions I had to make, ready to make some more for other projects, when we founded out that the pattern we had chosen was not right for the coat I wanted to make. The mistake we made was we didn’t look properly at the drawing of the coat and missed that the seams were not where I wanted them. This made that I started to freak out. In my head, I started to worry, I made myself believe that all these people in the store were thinking I was stupid, dum. How could I make such a stupid decision. I wanted to leave the store instantly, my breathing started to be heavier. And I very much believed everybody was looking at me.
I know this might sound a bit stupid, probably most of the people there didn’t notice me and most definitely didn’t know of the mistake I made. And if they were now looking at me it was probably that I now was acting foolishly. The only people who knew was my mom (who made the mistake with me) and the sales lady who pointed it out, but wasn’t by all means judge mental. Actually, she was quite nice.
So with me panicking, we left the store, with the fabric and sorts, but not with any other fabric for other projects or with a pattern we could use.

Luckily we did end up finding the right pattern and we could get started.
Step 5: Drawing out the patterns, pinning the on the fabric and starting to cut out the fabric.
Step 6: Of course my mum help me a lot here. The times I sewed before are not worth mentioning, so I needed a whole lot of help. I am in the learning progress and did as much as I could. The most difficult parts are done by my mom, I did wanted for the coat to look good and didn’t want to fuck it up.

I do think the end result is perfect. I love it, it is comfortable, and it does look well made. Definitely a coat for years to come. 
 

1 opmerking:

  1. Very well done!

    It's not the easiast sewing project to start with :-)

    What kind of lining do you have now? Same color or a different one?

    Ria

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen