woensdag 9 december 2015

What makes me happy, 15 days until Christmas


It is December, the month where everything seems possible, with magic in the air and a time to think positive. So what is better than thinking about small or bigger things that makes you happy. Personally, I find it much easier to get happiness from small things than big, perhaps this is because I’m not really missing positive. And when looking at small things it is almost impossible to think something negative about.

1. Lipsticks: This is more of a recent discovery. I’m not really great with makeup, especially eyeliner and plus I don’t wear much on a daily basis. However a lipstick is easy to apply and immediately gives you a different look, and with so many different colours and textures there are many looks to choose from. The reason this is only something recent is that I used to think lipstick looks odd to me, that my lips are not suitable for it. But to be honest, I now like the way it looks at me and when wearing it, I’m less bothered by the way my lips look.
Of course, this new obsession of mine is not good for my wallet, there are so many I would like to have.

2. Pizza: My all time favourite. Of course, when I say pizza I don’t mean ready made frozen pizza from the supermarket, I mean fresh ones. The ones you make yourself, with some advocado (I am in love with that texture), some onion, dried tomatoes, miserable and what not. But of course in a restaurant you can have delicious ones too. The best I had so far was in the
Czech republic this year. It isn’t quite the country to find great food, and for a while we just made dinner at the campsite. However, when we came across this pizzeria we decided to give it one more try. A great decision because the pizza’s were absolutely great. A great tomato sauce and just the right amount of cheese (I’m no real cheese fanatic and hate when the entire pizza is covered with it). Everything was just right.
But a more recent enjoyment of the pizza was when my mom, aunt, cousin and I were on a shopping trip in Enschede. We ended it in a restaurant where we choose some different types, one was a super delicious pizza bread. Unfortunately, there was just enough to take two small pieces for me.

3. Vietnamese: I love this Cuisine. The fresh herbs and vegetables, the many different tastes. It’s one of the few food I don’t feel the need to have a different taste in my mouth after eating it.
It all started with a Vietnamese sandwich. We found the recipe in a cookbook we own, not a Vietnamese one. And it was the best sandwich I have ever eaten.
I now own a Vietnamese cookbook, a birthday present from my grandmother, and I can’t wait to try all the recipes.

4. Christmas: It is mostly about the days leading up to it, the excitement and anticipation that grows, the Chritsmas decoration, everything starts to sparkle. It’s the atmosphere, it has, the feeling anything is possible, anything could happen and for a while it really does seem that magic does exist.
I’m most definitely am a Christmas junky. Anything remotely Christmassy brings fluttering butterflies in my stomach, even when in reality it’s just ugly. It’s a month I get so easily distracted by all it’sparkle.

5. Looking through clothing racks: I’ve always liked a little shopping, but even more so now I feel confident enough to wear what I like. I don’t end up wearing only the things that makes me invisible. And surprisingly, it makes me so much happier to walk around in clothes I love, I feel more confident because of it. And this makes looking for clothes much more exciting, although I buy less (I just make sure I buy only clothes I know I will wear).

6. Bookshops: I love to walk slowly pass the bookshelf’s looking for an interesting book to buy. The excitement you feel when knowing there are many more stories to read and worlds to discover.
But not only new books, old books, books that have lived, that have a different story stuck to them than what they tell inside. Books with pretty covers and cracks in their spines. I love the way they look on a bookshelf.

7. A warm summers day, bare feet, no talking, just wandering through the garden: I’m not a talkative  person. I can be very chatty at the right time and the right person. But I do have days I do not feel like talking at all, days I just want to be alone with my thoughts, let my imagination run wild. This summer, on those very warm days when nobody was home, I just wandered through the garden with Luna (my dog) following me closely, sat down on various points staring at something and let my thoughts wander as well. It was so confirming and relaxing to do, although it may sound boring to some of you.




8. Watching films (fantasy in particular): I love it, it’s another way to delf yourself in something else than your own life. I love to watch films that when they’re finished, they still be in your mind and when you go asleep it will give you sweet and wonderful dreams.

9. Getting a new haircut: I’ve always loved to get a drastically different haircut. Because then for a while, you feel a new person, with new possibilities and a feeling I can do anything. I’m not someone who can have the same haircut for years, I get bored of it quickly and it’s quite addicting to try something new.  When I tell those around, me I want something new, there is now surprise only: ‘Again?’ and ‘For how long?’.
It’s the only thing I can be spontaneous in. Last February I decided one night I wanted it short like Demi Moore in Ghost and the next the I had an appointment made and got it done. Just like that, no regrets. Although it does help to have a hairdresser you trust and that actually listens to what you want.
Only know when I want something new I have to let it grow first, and that goes so slow.

10. Buying the Christmas tree: One of the things I love the most in December, is buying a Christmas tree. We always do this at a farm nearby. Outside the barn are the many different kinds of Christmas trees, big, small, thick thin and in many shapes. Inside the barn  it smells of mulled wine and every now and then the smell of Christmas trees goes by. By the first step you, make you feel the heat of the little fireplace where the mulled wine is heated. But first you have to go through the miniature Christmas market before you get there and receive a small glass for free to drink.
It’s something I look forward to every year.

11. Snow: Isn’t it magically when you wake up to a winter wonderland. The snow still falling and making the already thick blanket that is covering the world even thicker. The many paths of untouched snow to make footprints. It’s like discovering the world all over again. And from the inside it looks so cosy and soft.

12. A rainy autumn day: it’s a pain when you have to go by bicycle and arrive at school or work all soaking wet. But is so lovely at a homyday. Walking the dog, while everyone stays inside, the water drops dripping of your face. Splacing in some puddles and enjoying the sound it makes on the leaves or rooftops.

13. A hot chocolate when it is freezing: A hot chocolate tastes the best when your toes have turned into ice clumps, your hands can’t be moved because they are frozen and you feel cold to the deepest of your inside. This is why when I was little and we would walk the dog in the forest when it snowed and froze, I deliberately put on shoes I knew wouldn’t do a good job keeping my feed on. Just so I could enjoy my hot chocolate with marshmallows, whipped cream and waffles even more.

 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten